Saturday, May 19, 2012

San Pedro de Atacama

(May 11-14)




San Pedro is another mostly tourist place. It is in the middle of the Atacama desert, close to the border with Bolivia and offers a few spectacular sceneries that are worth the money you spend to get and to stay there.  

Once again, I had to work a bit. And I was so happy to see that in the middle of the desert my hostel had an internet connection that was actually better than the one we got in Valparaiso. That was awesome to start a few jobs on my machine in Zurich.

El Taito, wake up at 4 AM to get there with the right light...

The thing I liked the most was to rent a bike and visit the valleys around San Pedro. We always got there a bit too late, but that was enough to enjoy gorgeous sunsets. You can actually do much more than that, but most of the things are similar to what we would have seen while crossing the Bolivian border.




This is also the last time I saw my sunglasses. I am trying to contact people to see whether they found them, but this time I am quite pessimist. 

Numbers: The bus from Santiago to San Pedro took 23 hours. Buses in Argentina and Chile are nowhere close to anything I have seen before in other countries. As distances are big and there are no almost no trains, buses here are well equipped and comfortable. We got a first class ticket for about 100 euros per person. The first class seat goes down 180 degrees to let you sleep. Unfortunately this was not enough to save me from an horrible headache.

No comments:

Post a Comment