Friday, June 8, 2012

La Paz

(May 17-19)

Paper deadline approaching, I need again a decently fast internet connection and a place where I can work. We decide to go to La Paz for a few days before heading to Rurre. We take a night bus from Uyuni the very same day we get there with our tour. Uyuni does not seem a place where it is worth spending more than the strictly necessary. So we hop on the first bus. And here we understood that we were not in Chile anymore. The ticket was definitely cheaper (90 Bolivianos for 10 hours bus, at night, semi-cama service), but you get what you pay for, and definitely not what they promise you will get: no heating and forget the entertainment. If I could go back, I would take the sleeping bag with me on the bus, it was impossibly cold. 

The morning we got into that jungle of concrete and metal that is La Paz, a place where you would like to wear your dirty lungs, those that you use for this kind of occasions. Nevertheless, the hotel was nice, comfortable, people were more or less kind with us and I somehow enjoyed the liveliness of the city. Not that I would necessarily want to go back, but I did not suffer it.

This is the newer La Paz. We were staying close to San Francisco,.

Numbers: We gave another try to south-american kitchen. But without much luck. Actually we got the tastier food on the street. Nothing too special, rice with lentils and potatoes, but for 5 Bolivianos this was definitely better than what we would have eaten the same night for 100. Price differ enormously. Here I got finally convinced that the best strategy for me would be to eat cheap, not too cheap, but not interested anymore in risking much money.


No comments:

Post a Comment